The Akpabio administration has invested heavily to revamp and restructure the health sector for adequate health care services to the peoples. The most notable of his administration’s lofty programmes in the health sector is the free medical care to pregnant women, children under the age of five, and the elderly. The administration has in the last eight years built new hospitals, rehabilitated and equipped old ones, to offer the best healthcare delivery possible. The aim is to make healthcare not only available, but also accessible to every Akwa Ibom person.
In order to achieve this objective, the government embarked on the following:
- Construction of a world class international hospital at Ekit Itam, known as the 20th Anniversary Specialist Hospital and Referral Centre.
- Donation of N50 million and building of a pediatric block at the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH); provision of dialysis machines at UUTH and other hospitals in the state, and upgrading of facilities at existing hospitals in the state.
- Activation and expansion of eight anti-retroviral therapy centres; 15 prevention of mother-to-child-transmission (PMTCT) centres and 37 HIV counselling and testing centres, all rendering free services.
- Procurement and commissioning of state-of-the-art ambulances, as well as construction of new primary health centres in the three senatorial districts of the state.
- Procurement of utility vehicles for 159 doctors in the state government employ, to facilitate their transportation and enhance their performance.
- Disrtribution of free food supplements to people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Implementation of the National Health Insurance Scheme is on course.
- Construction of cottage hospitals in Essien Udim, Ibeno, Ukanafun, Eastern Obolo and Ika local government areas.
- High immunization coverage to eradicate polio and all other childhood killer diseases.
- Provision of counterpart funding for all health programmes by donor organisations like UNICEF, UNFPA, Operation Roll Back Malaria, HIV/AIDS World Bank assisted programme.
- Construction of an oxygen plant to serve Akwa Ibom State and neighbouring states.
- Establishment of emergency medical services.
Construction of the Medical Diagnostic Centre in Ikot Ekpene, currently ongoing which, on completion, will contain the following:
- Virology diagnostic centre
- Mammography laboratory
- Virology laboratory
- Computerized Tomography scan room
- Blood bank
- Serology laboratory
- Histopathology laboratory
- Morbid anatomy museum
- DNA fragment laboratory
- Ultra-sound equipment
- Two gate houses
- Car parking area
Ibom Specialist Hospital
The Ibom Multi-Specialty Hospital at Ekit Itam in Itu Local Government Area is one of the most ambitious projects of the Akpabio administration, in its drive to provide quality healthcare for the people of Akwa Ibom State. Designed to be a state-of-the-art hospital of international standard,the hospital underscores Governor Akpabio government’s serious commitment to quality healthcare delivery in the state. The hospital is equipped with facilities to handle cases that are usually referred abroad, thus boosting the government’s effort at promoting medical tourism in the state. The Akpabio also created an enabling environment to make investment in the health sector in the state attractive.
- 308 beds facility
- VIP and VVIP Wards
- 1.5 Tesla MRI
- 640 Slides CT Scan
- Digital Mammography
- Endoscopy Surgery
- Highly sophisticated Intensive Care Units (ICU)
- Six Fully Integrated Modular Theatres
- Medical Gas Plants
- 43,560 sqm or 7.8 Ha Landmass
- Paperless and Pneumatic Delivery Devices
- Fully Automated Laboratories and Dialyses Units
- Certified Operators